Two top LeT militants slain, SPO wounded
Jammu: Two top Lashker-e-Toiba militants
were killed today in a fierce gunbattle with army troops which
also left a JCO and a Special Police Officer (SPO) wounded in
Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district.
On receiving information that some militants had
entered a mosque in Kangri Thanole village, troops of 64
Rashtriya Rifles and police cordoned off the area, a senior
army officer said.
The militants were told to surrender but they fired on
the troops who did not retaliate keeping in mind the sanctity
of the shrine, he said.
After nearly four hours of persuasion by troops and
locals, the militants came out of the mosque, but took shelter
in a hideout in adjoining Thanole forest belt, some 140-km
A fierce gunbattle ensued between the holed-up ultras
and the troops in which the two militants were killed, the
An SPO and a Junior Commissioned Officer were wounded
in the gunfight and were hospitalised, he said.
The slain militants were identified as Irfan Mushtaq
and Abrar alias Abu Ubada, self-styled Divisional Commander
and Commander respectively of the LeT.
Two AK-47 rifles, two grenades, three AK-47 magazines
and 47 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the scene,
the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- India to test sub-scale demonstrator scramjet engine in 2016
- PSBs capital needs significantly higher than budgeted: Moody's
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar's daughter in trauma after BSP workers abuse her
- Samsung hits back at China's Huawei with patent suit
- India ranks 110th on Sustainable Development index