Two top LeT militants slain, SPO wounded
Jammu: Two top Lashker-e-Toiba militants
were killed today in a fierce gunbattle with army troops which
also left a JCO and a Special Police Officer (SPO) wounded in
Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district.
On receiving information that some militants had
entered a mosque in Kangri Thanole village, troops of 64
Rashtriya Rifles and police cordoned off the area, a senior
army officer said.
The militants were told to surrender but they fired on
the troops who did not retaliate keeping in mind the sanctity
of the shrine, he said.
After nearly four hours of persuasion by troops and
locals, the militants came out of the mosque, but took shelter
in a hideout in adjoining Thanole forest belt, some 140-km
A fierce gunbattle ensued between the holed-up ultras
and the troops in which the two militants were killed, the
An SPO and a Junior Commissioned Officer were wounded
in the gunfight and were hospitalised, he said.
The slain militants were identified as Irfan Mushtaq
and Abrar alias Abu Ubada, self-styled Divisional Commander
and Commander respectively of the LeT.
Two AK-47 rifles, two grenades, three AK-47 magazines
and 47 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the scene,
the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back