Udhampur kidnapping, rape case: Man gets 7-yr jail
Jammu: Ten years after the CBI filed a chargesheet, a court today sentenced a man to seven years in jail in the sensational case of kidnapping and rape of girl in Udhampur which had sparked violent protests and a month-long bandh.
CBI spokesperson in Delhi said the Additional District and Sessions Judge has convicted Aftab Ahmed Chandel and sentenced him to undergo seven years Rigorous Imprisonment for abducting a girl in 2001.
The case was handed over to the CBI in March 2001 at the request of Jammu and Kashmir Government.
The girl was abducted from Udhampur, 65 kilometres from here, in February, 2001. The incident led to wide spread rioting and arson in Udhampur town after which the state government decided to transfer the case to CBI.
The Udhampur town witnessed a bandh for nearly one month.
After a thorough investigation, CBI filed its first chargesheet in April, 2001 and supplementary chargesheet in January, 2002. During the trial which went on for about 10 years, 28 witnesses were examined on behalf of CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!