`UMEED to be implemented in phased-manner`
Jammu: UPA government`s flagship project UMEED, to empower women in Kashmir would be implemented in a phased-manner over a period of five years to ensure that it covers all the areas of the state, a minister said on Wednesday.
"Phase-wise implementation approach would be adopted to ensure that UMEED scheme covers all the 143 Blocks and 4098 gram panchayats over a period of five years," Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Ali Mohammad Sagar said during a review meeting convened to discuss the implementation of the scheme in the state.
The minister directed the officers to ensure the speedy implementation of the scheme, which, he claimed, has a huge potential in providing employment opportunities to women living in rural and far-flung areas of the state.
He said the scheme would ensure that the economy of rural areas gets an impetus by involving various Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and village organisations into its fold, which would ensure the much needed work avenues for women.
Under the scheme, 64 village organisations have been formed by including 574 SHGs in the Jammu division and 26 village organisations in Kashmir division by including 206 SHGs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre