`UMEED to be implemented in phased-manner`
Jammu: UPA government`s flagship project UMEED, to empower women in Kashmir would be implemented in a phased-manner over a period of five years to ensure that it covers all the areas of the state, a minister said on Wednesday.
"Phase-wise implementation approach would be adopted to ensure that UMEED scheme covers all the 143 Blocks and 4098 gram panchayats over a period of five years," Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Ali Mohammad Sagar said during a review meeting convened to discuss the implementation of the scheme in the state.
The minister directed the officers to ensure the speedy implementation of the scheme, which, he claimed, has a huge potential in providing employment opportunities to women living in rural and far-flung areas of the state.
He said the scheme would ensure that the economy of rural areas gets an impetus by involving various Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and village organisations into its fold, which would ensure the much needed work avenues for women.
Under the scheme, 64 village organisations have been formed by including 574 SHGs in the Jammu division and 26 village organisations in Kashmir division by including 206 SHGs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors