`UMEED to be implemented in phased-manner`
Jammu: UPA government`s flagship project UMEED, to empower women in Kashmir would be implemented in a phased-manner over a period of five years to ensure that it covers all the areas of the state, a minister said on Wednesday.
"Phase-wise implementation approach would be adopted to ensure that UMEED scheme covers all the 143 Blocks and 4098 gram panchayats over a period of five years," Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Ali Mohammad Sagar said during a review meeting convened to discuss the implementation of the scheme in the state.
The minister directed the officers to ensure the speedy implementation of the scheme, which, he claimed, has a huge potential in providing employment opportunities to women living in rural and far-flung areas of the state.
He said the scheme would ensure that the economy of rural areas gets an impetus by involving various Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and village organisations into its fold, which would ensure the much needed work avenues for women.
Under the scheme, 64 village organisations have been formed by including 574 SHGs in the Jammu division and 26 village organisations in Kashmir division by including 206 SHGs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet