Umer Farooq invites UN General Assembly President to visit J&K
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference headed by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Thursday invited UN General Assembly President John Ashe to visit Jammu and Kashmir and take stock of the human rights and political situation prevailing there.
"We appeal to President UNO General Assembly, currently on a tour of India, to visit Kashmir and take stock of the worsening human rights and political situation in the Valley," Hurriyat said in a statement after a meeting of its executive body chaired by the Mirwaiz at its Rajbagh headquarters here.
Advocating resolution of Kashmir issue, the Hurriyat alleged that Jammu and Kashmir has been turned into a "police state" where the rights of the people re being "usurped by means of force."
"We appeal to the UN General Assembly President to take effective steps to solve the Kashmir dispute on priority basis ...Several resolutions have been passed in the UN regarding the solution of Kashmir dispute, hence it was the moral responsibility of the world body to make efforts for speedy resolution of the dispute," it said.
"If people of Crimea in Ukraine are being given the right to self determination to decide their future through free polls, why not the people of Kashmir are being given the same rights to determine their political future?" it posed.
It said since many resolutions regarding Kashmir issue have been passed by UN and that since it is still on UN agenda as a disputed land, it was the moral and constitutional responsibility of the world body to utilise its resources towards solving the Kashmiri issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured