Umer Farooq invites UN General Assembly President to visit J&K
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference headed by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Thursday invited UN General Assembly President John Ashe to visit Jammu and Kashmir and take stock of the human rights and political situation prevailing there.
"We appeal to President UNO General Assembly, currently on a tour of India, to visit Kashmir and take stock of the worsening human rights and political situation in the Valley," Hurriyat said in a statement after a meeting of its executive body chaired by the Mirwaiz at its Rajbagh headquarters here.
Advocating resolution of Kashmir issue, the Hurriyat alleged that Jammu and Kashmir has been turned into a "police state" where the rights of the people re being "usurped by means of force."
"We appeal to the UN General Assembly President to take effective steps to solve the Kashmir dispute on priority basis ...Several resolutions have been passed in the UN regarding the solution of Kashmir dispute, hence it was the moral responsibility of the world body to make efforts for speedy resolution of the dispute," it said.
"If people of Crimea in Ukraine are being given the right to self determination to decide their future through free polls, why not the people of Kashmir are being given the same rights to determine their political future?" it posed.
It said since many resolutions regarding Kashmir issue have been passed by UN and that since it is still on UN agenda as a disputed land, it was the moral and constitutional responsibility of the world body to utilise its resources towards solving the Kashmiri issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside