Uniformed men swoop on two Sikh villages in JK, causing fears
Srinagar: Coinciding with President Barack
Obama`s visit to India, two incidents of uniformed gunmen
descending on Sikh hamlets have taken place in the Kashmir
Valley, sending jitters among some members of the community.
The Sikhs are apprehensive, fearing a repeat of massacre
of 35 Sikhs at Chattisinghpora village in March 2000, when
then US President Bill Clinton was on a visit to India.
Uniformed personnel, travelling in a civilian vehicle,
last night knocked on the doors of residents of predominantly
Sikh-inhabited Hutmura village, 65 kms from here, in Anantnag
district, raising concerns among the minority community.
A police spokesman said there was a "misunderstanding"
created by a patrol of security forces in Hutmura village
which was later sorted out by the intervention of senior civil
administration and police officials.
But defence spokesperson Lt Col J S Brar said, "no army
unit was involved in the incident".
Sikh community leaders said initially the men of the
village fled to the fields but later raised an alarm to
attract the attention of Muslim neighbours. The civilians then
took on the gunmen, forcing them to flee the spot.
However, they managed to get hold of the driver of their
vehicle, who was later handed over to police.
Some Sikh community members have demanded a probe saying
a similar incident had taken place in Uplina village in
Baramulla district on the night of November 3.
"There seems to be a pattern to these incidents and the
Sikhs are feeling insecure at the moment," All Parties Sikh
Coordination Committee (APSCC) Chairman Jagmohan Singh Raina
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Arvind Kejriwal pushing Delhi into constitutional crisis: Delhi BJP
- India set to get MTCR membership, NSG option remains open: MEA
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!