Uproar in J&K Assembly over Afzal Guru`s body
Jammu: There was an uproar in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Tuesday as the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) demanded that the mortal remains of Afzal Guru be brought back to the state.
Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was hanged and buried in Delhi`s Tihar Jail on February 9.
The demand came up in the Assembly after Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday ruled out handing over Afzal Guru`s body to his family.
J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and his arch rival, PDP patron and former chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed had also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh listing this demand.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party (JKNPP) rose to counter the PDP and the resulting ruckus compelled Speaker Mubarak Gul to adjourn the house twice.
When the house assembled for the third time, members stood on tables after Law Minister Mir Saif Ullah addressed Guru as "Afzal Guru sahib". This enraged the BJP and JKNPP and their members started shouting slogans. The Speaker then adjourned the house till 3 pm.
For Kashmir-based parties, the return of Afzal Guru`s body to his family has become an issue, while Jammu-based parties are opposing the demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot