US Ambassador meets J&K CM
Jammu: US Ambassador to India Timothy J Roemer Thursday met Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah during which the two discussed matters pertaining to the state.
Roemer arrived here this morning on a two-day visit to the state and his meeting with the Chief Minister is his only political engagement.
Political observers feel that his meeting with the Chief Minister was a clear message to separatist leaders --moderate as well as hardline -- that the US will not support any group indulging in violence.
Roemer will not be meeting leaders of any other political party or their representatives including that of the state`s main opposition PDP. He has confined his engagements to meeting children and non-political NGOs.
During his stay in the state, he will be offering prayers at Hazratbal mosque and Shankaracharya temple besides meeting children of a school before flying out of Kashmir tomorrow evening, officials privy to the visit said.
US Envoys to India have been visiting Jammu and Kashmir during the peak of militancy in 1990s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj