Use calm to resolve Kashmir problem: Mehbooba
Srinagar: The President of the People`s Democratic Party (PDP), Mehbooba Mufti, has asked the Central Government to use the prevailing calm in the region to solve the Kashmir problem.
Addressing mediapersons, Mufti said: “The lull we see in the state should be used to address the problem.”
“Since Home Minister is closely monitoring the situation in Kashmir, my humble request to him is to take steps for the release of youth, political prisoners and the withdrawal of cases against 5000 Kashmiri youth who were victimized for making use of their democratic right to protest against government failures,” she added.
Welcoming the latest round of talks between India and Pakistan, including Kashmir, Mehbooba urged Government of India to initiate “processes of conflict resolution, democratic linearization and institutional guarantee of human rights” in Kashmir.
Claiming victory in the Panchayat polls, which were held on non-party basis, Mehbooba said her party would use the forum to press for a solution to the Kashmir dispute.
“We have got 70 percent vote share in the Panchayat elections. It has come as a blessing for us. We have been given the mandate and I am humbled by the people’s response,” she added.
The party, she said, would use the forum to push forward its self-rule agenda, fight for compensation against exploitation of water resources, withdrawal of troops and revocation of AFSPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Absconding rape accused AISA leader Anmol Ratan to apply for anticipatory bail
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details