Vaishno Devi to have visitor, pony mgmt system
Jammu: For better management of pilgrims and pony vendors at the Mata Vaishnodevi shrine in Trikuta hills, a system based on smart-card and biometrics would soon be put in place.
Municipal Committee Katra (MCK) has floated Request for Proposal (RFP) for Visitor-Pony management system for pilgrims at Vaishnodevi shrine to have a stricter control over vendors, for the benefit of devotees.
The system will be put in place for 18-km Katra-Bhawan-Bharov stretch of route to cave shrine.
The RFP has been invited from companies which have national presence for regulation of ponies, potters, delivery schedules, technical and commercial terms.
The MCK has over 25,000 pony vendors who ferry roughly 35 lakh pilgrims, out of over one crore pilgrims visiting the cave shrine annually.
Currently, the committee manages the visitor and the vendors (ponywalas) manually, in which the vendors get paid according to the distance they have travelled.
Katra Town, located at an altitude of about 2,500 feet above sea level, is the base camp for the Yatra.
This is the last point up till which any type of modern transport can go (except the recently started Helicopter service, which takes the pilgrims right till Sanjichhat, just a couple of kilometers from the shrine).
From here a trek of around 18 kms takes a pilgrim to Bharov, which can be completed on foot or on horses and ponies or on palanquins. The technology would be applied on this route.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow