VDC members repulse attack of militants in Doda
Jammu: Members of Village Defence Committee today repulsed the attack of militants and forced them to flee in forest area of Doda district, police said.
An unspecified number of militants fired on a house of VDC member Jan Mohammad from Thathri forest area, about 200 kms from here, in the wee hours, they said.
Mohammad, joined by other VDC members, exchanged gunfire for about two hours. Facing stiff resistance from VDC members, militants escaped under the cover of darkness.
VDCs have been set up by state police about several years back in militancy-prone areas to defend their respective villages and areas against militant attacks.
These committees are provided arms and ammunition and other communication equipments by the police. Besides, they are also being provided honorarium of Rs 1,000 per head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender