VDC members repulse attack of militants in Doda
Jammu: Members of Village Defence Committee today repulsed the attack of militants and forced them to flee in forest area of Doda district, police said.
An unspecified number of militants fired on a house of VDC member Jan Mohammad from Thathri forest area, about 200 kms from here, in the wee hours, they said.
Mohammad, joined by other VDC members, exchanged gunfire for about two hours. Facing stiff resistance from VDC members, militants escaped under the cover of darkness.
VDCs have been set up by state police about several years back in militancy-prone areas to defend their respective villages and areas against militant attacks.
These committees are provided arms and ammunition and other communication equipments by the police. Besides, they are also being provided honorarium of Rs 1,000 per head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'