Vehicular traffic allowed on Jammu-Srinagar highway
Jammu: Jammu-Srinagar National Highway,
the only road link between Kashmir and rest of the country, was Monday opened for vehicular traffic from Jammu to Srinagar,
officials said here.
"One way traffic has been allowed from Jammu to
Srinagar today. There would no traffic from Srinagar to Jammu
today," police officials at Police Control Room said.
However, due to the thick fog, slippery stretches and heavy traffic jams, the traffic movement on the highway is very slow, they said.
The 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar national highway from
Srinagar to Jammu was reopened for traffic yesterday a day
after it was closed due to heavy snowfall at Jawahar tunnel
and Patnitop stretches, they said, adding over 1,000 vehicles
stranded on the highway were also cleared.
Men and machines of Border Road Organisation are
working round the clock to clear the snow and restore the
two-way traffic on the highway, but continuous snowfall is
making their task difficult, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply