VHP demands probe into impure gold offerings at Vaishnodevi
Jammu: VHP on Friday demanded a judicial probe into reported huge offerings of impure gold and silver at Vaishnodevi temple and asked the Shrine Board to ensure that the offerings are cleaned as soon as they are received.
"A detailed inquiry should be conducted by a sitting Judge of High Court. Cleansing of offered gold and silver should take place immediately after the offerings are presented at the cave shrine to ensure transparency," Prant Sanrakshak, VHP, Ramakant Dubey told reporters here today.
Vishwa Hindu Parishad has taken a strong note of news reports that out of 193.5 kg of gold, 43 kg of gold, besides 5,781 kg of silver offered at the Mata Vaishnodevi cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district were found impure during cleansing process, he said.
"It is very shocking that the Shrine Board remained silent for five years and it is only after the information through media that the picture of impure and duplicate gold and silver has come before the public," Dubey said.
He asked the Shrine Board to make it clear why they did not cleanse it through transparent process immediately after the offerings are made.
The Shrine Board should also make it clear why there is no provision to clean gold and silver at the shrine premises, he said, adding that the offerings are sent outside the state for cleansing, which raises apprehensions that they may be inter-changed with fakes.
Nearly 22 per cent of 193 kgs of gold offerings and 70 per cent of 8,163 kgs of silver offerings by devotees at Vaishnodevi shrine during last five years have been found to be "impure", according to the shrine board.
"78 per cent of 193.5 kg of yellow metal and 30 per cent of 8,163 kgs of white metal offered by devotees at cave shrine of Mata Vaishnodevi during last five years is pure gold and silver respectively," Chief Executive officer (CEO), Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board (SMVDSB), Mandeep Bhandari had said yesterday.
The official had said the offerings are divided into yellow and white metal categories as their purity is unknown.
While the yellow metal is sent to Indian Government Mint, Mumbai, the white metal is sent to Minerals Trading Corporation of India Ltd, Delhi for refining, assaying and fabrication, he had said.
The Vaishno Devi shrine is visited by over one crore devotees every year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO