VHP protest against Amarnath yatra`s curtailment
Jammu: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday held protest across the city against the decision of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board to curtail the annual Amarnath Yatra this year to 39 days.
It also demanded commencement of the annual pilgrimage to the holy cave shrine in Kashmir from Jyestha Purnima on June four.
"We demand the SASB should reconsider its decision and start the annual Amarnath Yatra from June four -- the day of Jyestha Purnima as per the traditional Hindu calendar," VHP J and K chief Rama Kant Dubey told reporters here.
Amid anti-Board slogans, he said Governor NN Vohra, who is SASB chairman, should resign from the Board on the issue.
In the wake of protests from several Hindu organisations over curtailment of the Yatra, the SASB yesterday said the decrease in the duration was due to Raksha Bandhan festival which is falling 11 days earlier than last year.
"As per tradition, the annual Amarnath yatra concludes on the date on which Raksha Bandhan falls. Last year, the 46-day-long pilgrimage commenced on June 29 and concluded on August 13, the date of the festival.
"This year the duration of the yatra has been reduced by seven days as Raksha Bandhan is taking place 11 days earlier than last year on August two even though the pilgrimage is scheduled to commence on June 25, four days earlier than last year," the Board had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16