VHP protest against Amarnath yatra`s curtailment
Jammu: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday held protest across the city against the decision of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board to curtail the annual Amarnath Yatra this year to 39 days.
It also demanded commencement of the annual pilgrimage to the holy cave shrine in Kashmir from Jyestha Purnima on June four.
"We demand the SASB should reconsider its decision and start the annual Amarnath Yatra from June four -- the day of Jyestha Purnima as per the traditional Hindu calendar," VHP J and K chief Rama Kant Dubey told reporters here.
Amid anti-Board slogans, he said Governor NN Vohra, who is SASB chairman, should resign from the Board on the issue.
In the wake of protests from several Hindu organisations over curtailment of the Yatra, the SASB yesterday said the decrease in the duration was due to Raksha Bandhan festival which is falling 11 days earlier than last year.
"As per tradition, the annual Amarnath yatra concludes on the date on which Raksha Bandhan falls. Last year, the 46-day-long pilgrimage commenced on June 29 and concluded on August 13, the date of the festival.
"This year the duration of the yatra has been reduced by seven days as Raksha Bandhan is taking place 11 days earlier than last year on August two even though the pilgrimage is scheduled to commence on June 25, four days earlier than last year," the Board had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state