Violence in Kashmir; Army, curfew in Srinagar

The Army was deployed in Srinagar as fresh violence, after a brief calm, claimed four lives.

Srinagar: The Army was deployed tonight in
Srinagar and indefinite curfew imposed as fresh violence
erupted in Kashmir Valley, claiming four lives and leaving
over 70 injured after days of calm.

Fayaz Ahmad Wani was killed when security personnel
allegedly opened fire at a stone-pelting mob protesting the
death of a man who he fell into a drain during a demonstration
in Batmaloo area of the city last night.

A 25-year-old woman identified as Fancy was killed by a
stray bullet in the same area when security forces fired in
air to disperse a mob which attacked a police building after
torching a welfare centre in the same premises, police said.

Indefinite curfew was clamped in the city after the
latest spell of violence.

The army called out on the streets of Srinagar late
tonight to enforce the curfew keeping in view the
non-availability of adequate number of police personnel many
of whom have been deployed for Amarnath Yatra and
counter-insurgency operations, official sources said.

In the evening, Abrar Khan, 18, was killed while
20-year-old Owais Ahmad was seriously injured when police
fired to disperse protesters in Maisuma in the heart of
Srinagar city after they defied curfew orders, police said.

Besides Srinagar, violence also took place in Baramulla,
Pampore in Pulwama and parts of curfew-bound Anantnag leaving
25 injured including an assistant sub-inspector who was hit by
a stone on his head at Mattan chowk in Anantnag.

Police said the mobs also pelted stones on police
stations at Pattan and Pampore. The policemen fired in air to
scare away the protesters.

Police resorted to firing to disperse several thousand
mourners carrying the body of Fancy who was killed in
Batmaloo, after teargas shelling and baton charge proved

The protesters were marching towards Lal Chowk when they
were stopped by police at Magermal bagh leading to clashes
between the two sides, the sources said adding some of the
protesters set ablaze a nearby barrack of Indian Reserve
Police (IRP) besides damaging the window panes of the house of
National Conference MLA Irfan Shah.

Some ammunition stored in the barrack was destroyed in
the fire.

Protesters clashed with security forces in various places
including Khanyar, Nowhatta, Rajouri Kadal, Barzulla, Fateh
Kadal, Braripora, Tatoo Ground, Hyderpora, Baghat, Rambagh,
Jehangir Chowk, Maisuma, and Habbakadal, resulting in injuries
to 45 people.

The protests had begun in the area late last night when a
group of men started throwing stones at a security contingent.

Omar briefs Chidambaram about situation

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
Omar Abdullah today apprised Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
about the situation in the state.

Official sources said the chief minister also sought
reinforcement from the Centre on the ground that majority of
the state security forces have been diverted for smooth
conduct of the Amarnath Yatra.

Omar discussed the law and order situation with fresh
violence erupting in Kashmir Valley, leaving four persons dead
and 70 injured following which indefinite curfew was clamped
in Srinagar.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link