Violent protests in Srinagar after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Violent protests erupted in
Maisuma locality of the city today after police detained Jammu
and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and some of his supporters for taking out a rally
against hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
Carrying posters and banners, Malik and JKLF activists
took out a rally from Maisuma towards Budshah Chowk demanding
that Guru should not be hanged, official sources said.
As soon as the protestors reached Budshah Chowk, a posse
of policemen detained Malik and 15 activists and took them to
a nearby police station, they said.
Irate protestors started pelting stones at police and
paramilitary personnel at Masiuma, prompting law enforcing
agencies to resort to cane-charge and tear smoke shelling,
The clashes were going on till reports came in afternoon,
they said, adding that there were no reports of anyone getting
injured in the clashes.
Yesterday, Malik warned that Guru should not be hanged as
it could push Kashmiri youths back to violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt