Violent protests in Srinagar after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Violent protests erupted in
Maisuma locality of the city today after police detained Jammu
and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and some of his supporters for taking out a rally
against hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
Carrying posters and banners, Malik and JKLF activists
took out a rally from Maisuma towards Budshah Chowk demanding
that Guru should not be hanged, official sources said.
As soon as the protestors reached Budshah Chowk, a posse
of policemen detained Malik and 15 activists and took them to
a nearby police station, they said.
Irate protestors started pelting stones at police and
paramilitary personnel at Masiuma, prompting law enforcing
agencies to resort to cane-charge and tear smoke shelling,
The clashes were going on till reports came in afternoon,
they said, adding that there were no reports of anyone getting
injured in the clashes.
Yesterday, Malik warned that Guru should not be hanged as
it could push Kashmiri youths back to violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested