Violent protests in Srinagar after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Violent protests erupted in
Maisuma locality of the city today after police detained Jammu
and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and some of his supporters for taking out a rally
against hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
Carrying posters and banners, Malik and JKLF activists
took out a rally from Maisuma towards Budshah Chowk demanding
that Guru should not be hanged, official sources said.
As soon as the protestors reached Budshah Chowk, a posse
of policemen detained Malik and 15 activists and took them to
a nearby police station, they said.
Irate protestors started pelting stones at police and
paramilitary personnel at Masiuma, prompting law enforcing
agencies to resort to cane-charge and tear smoke shelling,
The clashes were going on till reports came in afternoon,
they said, adding that there were no reports of anyone getting
injured in the clashes.
Yesterday, Malik warned that Guru should not be hanged as
it could push Kashmiri youths back to violence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know