Violent protests in Srinagar after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Violent protests erupted in
Maisuma locality of the city today after police detained Jammu
and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Mohammad Yasin
Malik and some of his supporters for taking out a rally
against hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
Carrying posters and banners, Malik and JKLF activists
took out a rally from Maisuma towards Budshah Chowk demanding
that Guru should not be hanged, official sources said.
As soon as the protestors reached Budshah Chowk, a posse
of policemen detained Malik and 15 activists and took them to
a nearby police station, they said.
Irate protestors started pelting stones at police and
paramilitary personnel at Masiuma, prompting law enforcing
agencies to resort to cane-charge and tear smoke shelling,
The clashes were going on till reports came in afternoon,
they said, adding that there were no reports of anyone getting
injured in the clashes.
Yesterday, Malik warned that Guru should not be hanged as
it could push Kashmiri youths back to violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials