VK Singh fails to appear before Jammu and Kashmir house
Zee Media Bureau
Jammu: Former Army chief General VK Singh on Thursday failed to appear before the privileges committee of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council for his disputed remarks on state ministers being paid by the Army.
The privileges committee has now issued fresh summons to the ex-Army chief, through Haryana director general of police (DGP).
"The Committee, under the chairmanship of Jugal Kishore Sharma, has decided to issue summons to him (Singh) through the Haryana Director General of Police to appear before this Committee on 22nd of this month at 2:30 PM," member of the privilege committee, Devender Singh Rana, told reporters after the conclusion of the meeting here.
The former Indian Army chief at present lives in Gurgaon, Haryana.
Rana, who is a ruling National Conference MLC and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s confidante, said "failing this, necessary action under law which is available to us will be taken against him."
Col UB Singh, a friend of Gen Singh, however, told reporters at the Legislative Council, "Singh had sent a proper reply to the Privilege Committee. But they have not taken it into consideration and refused to accept it."
When Rana was asked about this, he said "There is no reply we have received as yet."
In December 2012, the privileges committee of the upper house of Jammu and Kashmir`s bicameral legislature had asked Singh to appear before it in the legislature complex in winter capital Jammu on January 09.
Singh had created a stir last year when he told a news channel in September 2012 that ministers and legislators in Jammu and Kashmir had been beneficiaries of Army`s secret funds.
The former Army chief, however, denied having made the allegations when state Legislative Assembly Speaker Mubarak Gul issued him a notice in November last year.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan