VK Singh fails to appear before Jammu and Kashmir house
Zee Media Bureau
Jammu: Former Army chief General VK Singh on Thursday failed to appear before the privileges committee of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council for his disputed remarks on state ministers being paid by the Army.
The privileges committee has now issued fresh summons to the ex-Army chief, through Haryana director general of police (DGP).
"The Committee, under the chairmanship of Jugal Kishore Sharma, has decided to issue summons to him (Singh) through the Haryana Director General of Police to appear before this Committee on 22nd of this month at 2:30 PM," member of the privilege committee, Devender Singh Rana, told reporters after the conclusion of the meeting here.
The former Indian Army chief at present lives in Gurgaon, Haryana.
Rana, who is a ruling National Conference MLC and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s confidante, said "failing this, necessary action under law which is available to us will be taken against him."
Col UB Singh, a friend of Gen Singh, however, told reporters at the Legislative Council, "Singh had sent a proper reply to the Privilege Committee. But they have not taken it into consideration and refused to accept it."
When Rana was asked about this, he said "There is no reply we have received as yet."
In December 2012, the privileges committee of the upper house of Jammu and Kashmir`s bicameral legislature had asked Singh to appear before it in the legislature complex in winter capital Jammu on January 09.
Singh had created a stir last year when he told a news channel in September 2012 that ministers and legislators in Jammu and Kashmir had been beneficiaries of Army`s secret funds.
The former Army chief, however, denied having made the allegations when state Legislative Assembly Speaker Mubarak Gul issued him a notice in November last year.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly