We are far more comfortable with Nawaz Sharif: Omar
New Delhi: The return of Nawaz Sharif to power was a "heartening" development for Jammu and Kashmir, says state Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who expressed the hope that India and Pakistan would soon come to the dialogue table.
Talking about the just-concluded elections in Pakistan, Omar said it was for the first time that Kashmir was not an issue in their domestic politics.
"This time obviously for various domestic internal reasons, Kashmir had not been as much of an election issue. If anything, it will do good for relations between India and Pakistan as also for Jammu and Kashmir because more than any other state in India we have benefited from good relations between both the countries.
"And we also suffer when relations are bad," Omar said in his interaction with the members of Foreign Correspondent`s Club.
On the election of Sharif, he said "obviously it is better to have a known leader one than an unknown one. I don`t know how government of India feels but there was a certain amount of disquiet among the people of Jammu and Kashmir about what possibly an Imran Khan government could mean for us.
"He (Khan) was very moderate when talking to western audiences and very strident and completely different when talking to his own domestic audience...His pronouncement on Kashmir was something different when he was sitting in Delhi and different when he was back home campaigning.
"So, clearly we are far more comfortable with Nawaz Sharif who in any case has a track record of trying to improve relations between the two countries. Will he be strong enough to do this is a million dollar question to which I don`t have an answer," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre