We are far more comfortable with Nawaz Sharif: Omar
New Delhi: The return of Nawaz Sharif to power was a "heartening" development for Jammu and Kashmir, says state Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who expressed the hope that India and Pakistan would soon come to the dialogue table.
Talking about the just-concluded elections in Pakistan, Omar said it was for the first time that Kashmir was not an issue in their domestic politics.
"This time obviously for various domestic internal reasons, Kashmir had not been as much of an election issue. If anything, it will do good for relations between India and Pakistan as also for Jammu and Kashmir because more than any other state in India we have benefited from good relations between both the countries.
"And we also suffer when relations are bad," Omar said in his interaction with the members of Foreign Correspondent`s Club.
On the election of Sharif, he said "obviously it is better to have a known leader one than an unknown one. I don`t know how government of India feels but there was a certain amount of disquiet among the people of Jammu and Kashmir about what possibly an Imran Khan government could mean for us.
"He (Khan) was very moderate when talking to western audiences and very strident and completely different when talking to his own domestic audience...His pronouncement on Kashmir was something different when he was sitting in Delhi and different when he was back home campaigning.
"So, clearly we are far more comfortable with Nawaz Sharif who in any case has a track record of trying to improve relations between the two countries. Will he be strong enough to do this is a million dollar question to which I don`t have an answer," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement