We put our lives on the line everyday, says Omar after attack
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday said the militant attack on an NC leader`s house in Pulwama district was evidence of the risk involved in being in mainstream politics in Kashmir and no one should question the commitment of people associated with it.
"The attack on Yawar`s (Masoodi) residence is evidence of the continued risk associated with being a mainstream politician in Kashmir," he wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
"You may not like our politics sometimes but don`t question our commitment because we put our lives on the line every day for our beliefs," Omar added.
He offered condolences to the family of two police personnel, who were killed by the militants in the attack.
"My condolences to the families of the police personnel killed in the attack on my party colleague in Pulwama district today," Omar said.
Both the militants involved in the attack on the house of NC youth leader were killed in an encounter after security forces chased them down.
Meanwhile, opposition PDP president Mehbooba Mufti condemned the attack saying bloodshed will not solve any problem but lead to more tragedies only.
"There is no place for violence in politics and it is against all tenants of decency and political conduct. These unfortunate incidents only result into tragedies and will not yield anything," she said in a statement.
She also expressed solidarity with the families of the two policemen who lost their lives in the "senseless act".
The PDP president paid tributes to the policemen "who protected Yawar at the cost of their own lives", saying "it is a matter of relief that Yawar had escaped unhurt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon