Weather improves in Kashmir Valley, no fresh rain and snowfall
Srinagar: Weather improved in the Kashmir Valley after three days as there was no rain and snowfall even as the night temperature stayed below the freezing point in most parts of the region.
The high altitude areas of Jammu and Kashmir experienced snowfall since December 21, the day when the `Chillai-Kalan`, considered as the harshest 40-day winter period, started.
Snowfall ranging from one feet to four feet was reported from the high altitude areas, including the famous cave shrine of Amarnath in the three days, while the plains received light snowfall and rains.
But no fresh rains or snowfall was reported from any part of the Valley today.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, recorded a minimum temperature of 0.6 degrees Celsius, same as the previous night, an official of the MeT Department said.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg, where most of the tourists flock to celebrate Christmas, was the coldest place in the state with a low of minus 9.3 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 9.2 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The mercury at Pahalgam hill resort, which serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, settled at a low of minus 1.4 degrees Celsius, an increase of over one degree from the previous night`s minus 3.0 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, recorded a low of 0.2 degrees Celsius as against the previous night?s 0.4 degrees Celsius.
Kokernag, in south Kashmir, which recorded a low of minus 3.5 degrees Celsius the previous night, registered a low of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius last night.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a minimum of minus 1.1 degrees Celsius as compared to 0.3 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The night temperature in Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, increased by over two degrees to settle at a low of minus 6.3 degrees Celsius as against minus 8.9 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The nearby Kargil town registered a minimum of minus 6.8 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The MeT Department has said the weather in the Valley would mainly remain dry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145