Weatherman forecasts cold week for Kashmir
Srinagar: The cold weather would continue for at least another week across the Kashmir Valley, said the weather office here on Thursday.
"The present weather system is likely to continue for another week. There will be occasional sunshine with intermittent periods of rain and thunder, especially towards the evenings," Sonam Lotus, director of the local weather office, told a news agency.
"Wednesday`s day temperature was warm. There was enough moisture in the atmosphere. But the system was highly unstable which gave rise to convective activity, resulting in hailstorm," Lotus said.
Heavy hailstorm in many south and north Kashmir areas Wednesday caused massive damage to fruit blossoms, threatening this year`s fruit crop of cherry, apple, peach, almond and apricot.
"Some of the best apples in Kashmir are produced in south Kashmir`s Shopian district, where Wednesday`s hailstorm caused massive damage to the apple trees," said Manzoor Ahmad, an orchardist in south Kashmir.
Hailstorm also lashed some areas in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal and Kupwara districts.
"I had to sweep the accumulated hailstorm from my small apple orchard, where it was nearly six inches deep," said Ghulam Muhammad Rather, 43, who lives in Ganderbal district.
"Since the temperature is down now, we are not expecting any hailstorm for the next few days," Lotus maintained.
Thursday`s minimum temperature in Srinagar was 9.6 degrees Celsius, a degree above what is normal for this time of the year. While Pahalgam recorded 7.3 degrees, it was near-freezing point at 0.6 degree in Gulmarg, and 3.4 degrees Celsius in Leh and Kargil towns, said another official of the weather department.
The hailstorms are unlikely to affect the paddy sowing operations in the valley, but the fruit trees such as apple, cherry, peach, apricot and almond are highly vulnerable to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them