Weatherman forecasts cold week for Kashmir
Srinagar: The cold weather would continue for at least another week across the Kashmir Valley, said the weather office here on Thursday.
"The present weather system is likely to continue for another week. There will be occasional sunshine with intermittent periods of rain and thunder, especially towards the evenings," Sonam Lotus, director of the local weather office, told a news agency.
"Wednesday`s day temperature was warm. There was enough moisture in the atmosphere. But the system was highly unstable which gave rise to convective activity, resulting in hailstorm," Lotus said.
Heavy hailstorm in many south and north Kashmir areas Wednesday caused massive damage to fruit blossoms, threatening this year`s fruit crop of cherry, apple, peach, almond and apricot.
"Some of the best apples in Kashmir are produced in south Kashmir`s Shopian district, where Wednesday`s hailstorm caused massive damage to the apple trees," said Manzoor Ahmad, an orchardist in south Kashmir.
Hailstorm also lashed some areas in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal and Kupwara districts.
"I had to sweep the accumulated hailstorm from my small apple orchard, where it was nearly six inches deep," said Ghulam Muhammad Rather, 43, who lives in Ganderbal district.
"Since the temperature is down now, we are not expecting any hailstorm for the next few days," Lotus maintained.
Thursday`s minimum temperature in Srinagar was 9.6 degrees Celsius, a degree above what is normal for this time of the year. While Pahalgam recorded 7.3 degrees, it was near-freezing point at 0.6 degree in Gulmarg, and 3.4 degrees Celsius in Leh and Kargil towns, said another official of the weather department.
The hailstorms are unlikely to affect the paddy sowing operations in the valley, but the fruit trees such as apple, cherry, peach, apricot and almond are highly vulnerable to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway