Welfare of women imperative for development of society: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday emphasised the importance of welfare of women saying without it, the development in the society would be lopsided.
"The welfare of women is imperative for the holistic development of society. The development is lopsided without the welfare of women," he told a gathering of women beneficiaries under the `Umeed` scheme at Khansahib in Budgam district.
The Chief Minister expressed happiness over the enthusiasm in women to participate in socio-economic welfare schemes to earn respectable livelihood and create a society free from evils and atrocities.
"I am happy to see the enthusiasm in women to participate in socio-economic welfare schemes to earn respectable livelihood and create a society free from evils and atrocities," he said.
Omar said it is highly encouraging that the `Umeed` programme has taken roots quickly in the state and in a short period of six months, its impact is amply visible on ground.
He described the `Umeed` scheme as an effective mean to empower women and help them earn independent livelihood.
Omar said involvement of women at the grassroot level to transform their socio-economic status and open new windows for their development could be achieved through programmes like Umeed.
After ensuring participation of women in Panchayat electins by making reservation for them, the Umeed scheme is yet another initiative aimed at empowerment and welfare of the women particularly those living in villages, he said.
The Chief Minister stressed the need for bringing more and more women under its fold and organising their groups to work in unity to seek welfare and fight social evils.
Omar expressed gratitude to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh for extending Umeed scheme to all blocks in the state.
He said during the next five years, all 143 blocks in the state would be covered under `Umeed`.
Rolled out this year, Lar, Khansahib, Chenani and Basohli blocks were covered under resource block strategy in the first phase of the programme. These blocks have been divided into six clusters.
As many as 923 groups have been formed in the two resource blocks of Jammu division and 891 groups have opened their bank accounts, an official spokesman said.
In Kashmir division, 483 groups have been formed and all of these have opened their bank accounts.
Under Umeed 22 blocks, one each from each district, would be developed as resource block in the first two years.
As many as 23040 families have been covered under Umeed and the number of benefiting families will touch nine lakh figure during the next five years, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'