Will raise the Kashmir issue in Parliament: Delegation
Srinagar: The parliamentarian-civil society
delegation, which is on a "fact-finding" tour of Jammu and
Kashmir, asked the Centre to resume dialogue with the
separatists and said it will raise the Kashmir issue in
parliament to galvanise public opinion.
"We will raise the (Kashmir) issue in the parliament
and on the streets ... we will create public opinion in the
country so that Kashmiris feel that the people are concerned
about their sufferings and grief," Ram Vilas Paswan, who is
leading the delegation, told reporters here.
The delegation met several separatist leaders, including
hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani,
moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and JKLF chairman
Mohammad Yasin Malik, since their arrival here yesterday.
After meeting Geelani, the delegation asked the Centre
to start a dialogue process for resolution of Kashmir issue
and include separatist leaders like Geelani in it.
Paswan told reporters that the delegation had come to do
a follow up of the visit of the All-Party Delegation, led by
Home Minister P Chidambaram, who visited the Valley in
"We are happy to note that the situation in Kashmir is
peaceful after the visit of the all-party delegation. The
Government announced an eight-point package after the visit
but there is no visible implementation of these steps on
ground," he said.
Paswan said, "Government should start a dialogue on
Kashmir issue and include leaders like Geelani in it."
The LJP president expressed dissatisfaction with the
appointment and functioning of three interlocutors appointed
by the Centre for holding talks with the cross section of the
"There is no political representative in the group and
they have not been able to take the Kashmiri leadership on
board," he said.
Paswan said the government should make public the number
of youth arrested under the Public Safety Act (PSA) and those
released after the announcement of the eight-point package by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi