Will wait some more time before deciding on AFSPA: Shinde
Manesar: The Centre will wait for some more time before taking any decision on the demand for revocation of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Jammu and Kashmir, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said on Tuesday.
Shinde, who recently visited Kashmir, however said it was not advisable to deploy para-military or Army personnel always for law and order duties.
The Minister, who was talking to reporters on the sidelines of 28th NSG raising day here, also said the situation in the Valley has been peaceful this year.
"We will wait for some more time," Shinde said in reply to a question whether it was a good time to withdraw AFSPA from the state. "It`s not appropriate to keep military always on duty (law and order)."
"Its been a peaceful year in the Valley. People there are very brave and we only want their cooperation," he said.
Referring to his three-day visit to J&K, Shinde said he was happy to see smiles on faces of people in the Valley.
"I went to the market in a private car without any security and roamed as you people do in Delhi," he said.
The Omar Abdullah government has been pressing for partial removal of AFSPA and earmarked Srinagar and Budgam district for pullout of Army personnel.
Shinde had extensively toured Srinagar and also went to pray at Chrar-e-Sharief shrine located in Budgam district during his visit from October 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow