Will wait some more time before deciding on AFSPA: Shinde
Manesar: The Centre will wait for some more time before taking any decision on the demand for revocation of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Jammu and Kashmir, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said on Tuesday.
Shinde, who recently visited Kashmir, however said it was not advisable to deploy para-military or Army personnel always for law and order duties.
The Minister, who was talking to reporters on the sidelines of 28th NSG raising day here, also said the situation in the Valley has been peaceful this year.
"We will wait for some more time," Shinde said in reply to a question whether it was a good time to withdraw AFSPA from the state. "It`s not appropriate to keep military always on duty (law and order)."
"Its been a peaceful year in the Valley. People there are very brave and we only want their cooperation," he said.
Referring to his three-day visit to J&K, Shinde said he was happy to see smiles on faces of people in the Valley.
"I went to the market in a private car without any security and roamed as you people do in Delhi," he said.
The Omar Abdullah government has been pressing for partial removal of AFSPA and earmarked Srinagar and Budgam district for pullout of Army personnel.
Shinde had extensively toured Srinagar and also went to pray at Chrar-e-Sharief shrine located in Budgam district during his visit from October 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?