Withdrawal of AFSPA complex question: BSF DG
New Delhi: The BSF, which is entrusted with
security-related duties in Jammu and Kashmir, on Tuesday said the
issue of withdrawal of the AFSPA from the state is a "very
complex" question and will not yield a "very simplistic"
Talking to reporters after taking over as the new
Director General of BSF, senior IPS officer U K Bansal said an
appropriate decision on the issue will be taken by the
government in the larger interest of the country.
The issue of removal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act
(AFSPA) from J-K is "a very complex question and it will
obviously not yield a very simplistic solution," he said.
"All I can say is that an appropriate decision would be
taken by the government in the larger interest of the country
and the region which is being discussed and BSF will implement
it," Bansal, who was Secretary (Internal Security) in the
Ministry of Home Affairs prior to assuming charge as BSF
Asked whether the force has sufficient immunity and if it
works without AFSPA, he said, "AFSPA is to give cover to armed
forces of the Union under some special circumstances. Since
BSF is also an armed force of the Union, hence it also got
a cover under it".
"BSF does not make policy. But BSF is in forefront of
implementing (government) policies as regards to border
guarding and border management," Bansal, a 1974 batch IPS
officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, said.
To a question about infiltration activities in Jammu and
Kashmir, he said that our figures reveal attempts to
infiltrate during the current year are down from the previous
"However, successful infiltration is roughly at the same
level as the last year," the DG said.
About 2.22 lakh strong force guards India-Bangladesh and
India-Pakistan borders besides being involved in anti-Naxal
operations in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie