Withdrawal of AFSPA would compromise security: KPs
Jammu: An organisation of Kashmiri Pandits on Monday said withdrawal of AFSPA in Jammu and Kashmir would
compromise the state`s security.
"Lifting or dilution of AFSPA in any manner would
compromise the effectiveness of security forces to control
terrorism and would imperil the security of citizens,
including Kashmiri Pandits," Panun Kashmir president Ashwani
Kumar Chrungoo said at a function here.
"We took a strong view of the statements coming from
various political quarters...regarding withdrawal of AFSPA
from the state," he said.
AFSPA has helped the security forces to gain an effective
control over insurgency and terrorism that had engulfed the
state, Chrungoo said.
The needless and constant politicking on the issue has
potential to demoralise the security forces. Security-related
issues cannot be made subservient to the expedient agenda of
political parties, he said.
Any tampering or partial lifting of AFSPA is tantamount
to almost lowering of guard and could give a lease of life to
Pakistan-sponsored terrorism on Indian soil, Chrungoo said.
PK spokesperson Virender Raina said the debate over the
lifting or dilution of the AFSPA must end for good in the
larger interests of the country.
"Sovereign issues of a nation are paramount and cannot
be made a topic for partisan politics," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof