Without competition democracy is meaningless: Mehbooba Mufti
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday alleged that the ruling National Conference has "stifled" all opposition to ensure a monopoly for itself.
The PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said people of the state alone can bring in a change in the system of governance and their lives through the process of public accountability.
"Change will start with the first vote cast in right direction that could make all political parties accountable to people for whatever good or bad they do," Mehbooba said addressing a workers rally at Pahalgam, 100 kms from here.
She claimed that the PDP was an important instrument in this process as it has provided the people with a credible alternative first time in the state`s history.
Mehbooba said the governance has been made hostage to vested interests of a single party in the state, that corrupted both the system as well as those who ran it without challenge.
"Democracy is meaningless without a competition and for the last 65 years NC stifled all opposition to ensure a monopoly for itself," she alleged.
This, she alleged, resulted in a situation in which the people became mere pawns in power game that ruling NC manipulated for its benefit.
Mehbooba said people must believe in their power to change their destiny through democratic means, which is the first requirement in bringing in the change.
"Unfortunately, we have been led the wrong way, for too long, which resulted in immense loss and turmoil in the past, because of the selfish policies of the NC," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab