Woman gives birth in a taxi in Ganderbal
Srinagar: A woman in central Kashmir`s Ganderbal district gave birth to a child in a taxi after she was turned away by a doctor at the government hospital, official sources said.
Amreen, a first time mother, gave birth to a male child while on her way back to Gutlibagh, 12 kilometres from the Ganderbal district headquarter, the sources said.
They said Amreen had gone to see the gynaecologist at the hospital in the morning but was turned back by the doctor saying her due date for delivery was still some time away.
After delivering the baby in the taxi, the mother and the infant were taken back to the Ganderbal hospital. Both of them were reported to be stable and out of danger, the sources said.
Block Medical Officer Mehmooda Kar has ordered an inquiry into the incident following a public outcry against the "negligent" approach of the gynaecologist.
Chief Medical Officer Dildar Mir said he is inquiring into the incident as he was away in a meeting with the Governor at the time of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement