Woman`s death sparks clashes in J&K, six injured
Srinagar: The death of a 29-year-old woman under suspicious circumstances sparked violent protests that left six people, including four policemen, injured in central Kashmir`s Ganderbal district on Tuesday.
Police fired teargas shells and used batons to restore calm, officials said.
Neelofar Jan, a resident of Prang village, was admitted to SKIMS Hospital in the city where she died, they said.
As the news of her death spread, the locals gathered at the district headquarters and staged a demonstration alleging Jan was poisoned by her in-laws.
The protesters, who were demanding action against the in-laws, clashed with police and indulged in stone-pelting, the officials said.
Six people, four of them policemen, were injured in the clashes, they said.
Police had taken cognisance of the death of the woman and started investigations, the officials said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!