Work on India`s longest road tunnel starts in J&K
Chenani: Work on India`s longest road
tunnel Friday started with engineers blasting a portion of a hill to clear way for construction of the 9-km long Chenani-Nashri Tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir`s Udhampur district.
Australian company Leighton Welston, renowned for
tunnelling technology, began the project by triggering the
blast this afternoon.
"We have started the work today on this prestigious
project. The twin tunnels which will come on Jammu-Srinagar
national highway is one of the longest road tunnel in Asia and also in India," Managing Director of Leighton Welston, Russell Waug told reporters at the project site here.
The twin tunnels will come up in a period of next five
years at a cost of Rs 2,600 crore, he said, adding that it
will also reduce the length of the highway as well as the
travel time between Srinagar and Jammu.
The two-lane main tunnel will have a diameter of 13.3 m,
while a parallel escape route shall have a diameter of 5 m.
Engineers will use the NATM technique of sequential excavation
and support for executing the project, he said.
The completion of the first section of the tunnel
comprising of all the portal sections represents the key
milestones for the project, he said.
A team of over 800 staff and 200 strong work force, armed
with sophisticated drilling machines, will daily bore around 5
m of the main tunnel and 8 m of the escape route, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah