Work on Rs 350 crore flyover begins in J&K
Srinagar: The work on Rs 350 crore Jehangir Chowk-Rambagh flyover, which will ease the traffic woes on the vital road leading to Srinagar airport in Kashmir, began on Thursday.
The work began with demolition of a portion of Shergarhi police station building which was coming under the flyover.
Minister of State for Home Sajad Ahmad Kichloo, who visited the police station on Wednesday, gave nod to partial demolition of the police station for expediting the work on the flyover project.
The flyover, which was announced in July 2009 and had to be completed in three years, hit many roadblocks including litigations by traders who are to be relocated to make way for the project.
The contract for construction of the flyover has been accorded to Simplex Infra Limited for an amount of Rs 200 crore whereas Rs 150 crore have been earmarked for the land acquisition and rehabilitation of the affected traders.
The expected time for completion of the project has been targeted to about three years.
Once completed, the 2.4-km flyover will reduce the journey time from Jehangir Chowk to Rambagh from 28 minutes to just 2.5 minutes and will go a long way in reducing the traffic congestion in the area between Lal Chowk and airport in Humhama.
The Economic Reconstruction Agency (ERA) has been designated as the executing agency for the prestigious project.
The government has already taken-up construction of two mega shopping complexes at Rambagh for rehabilitation of the affected shopkeepers under the flyover project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly