Work on Rs 350 crore flyover begins in J&K
Srinagar: The work on Rs 350 crore Jehangir Chowk-Rambagh flyover, which will ease the traffic woes on the vital road leading to Srinagar airport in Kashmir, began on Thursday.
The work began with demolition of a portion of Shergarhi police station building which was coming under the flyover.
Minister of State for Home Sajad Ahmad Kichloo, who visited the police station on Wednesday, gave nod to partial demolition of the police station for expediting the work on the flyover project.
The flyover, which was announced in July 2009 and had to be completed in three years, hit many roadblocks including litigations by traders who are to be relocated to make way for the project.
The contract for construction of the flyover has been accorded to Simplex Infra Limited for an amount of Rs 200 crore whereas Rs 150 crore have been earmarked for the land acquisition and rehabilitation of the affected traders.
The expected time for completion of the project has been targeted to about three years.
Once completed, the 2.4-km flyover will reduce the journey time from Jehangir Chowk to Rambagh from 28 minutes to just 2.5 minutes and will go a long way in reducing the traffic congestion in the area between Lal Chowk and airport in Humhama.
The Economic Reconstruction Agency (ERA) has been designated as the executing agency for the prestigious project.
The government has already taken-up construction of two mega shopping complexes at Rambagh for rehabilitation of the affected shopkeepers under the flyover project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda