Work resumes at Keran village at LoC; no objection from Pak
Srinagar: After a public outcry and swift action by Jammu and Kashmir government, work along the Line of Control at Keran village in North Kashmir resumed on Thursday, a day after it was stopped following Pakistan`s objections.
Deputy Commissioner of Kupwara Itrat Hussain Rafiqi, who had deputed senior officials at the spot, said that the work resumed from 10 AM after it was conveyed to Pakistani troops that the construction was meant for civilian use and had nothing to do with any defence establishment.
"People from the village gathered at a triburtary of Kishen Ganga and argued with Pakistani troops that the work had nothing to with army and was meant only for people of the village," he said.
The Pakistani troops had said that they would get back by 9 am today.
"However, since there was no word, the district administration immediately moved in trucks carrying material and other things and resumed work for children`s park and a playground separately from 10 AM," Rafiqi said, adding there was no further objection by Pakistani troops.
Pakistan had yesterday forced India to stop the work in this village claiming the construction was in violation of a treaty signed between the two countries of not undertaking any construction activities within 150 metres of the Line of Control (LoC).
Pakistani troops had used loud speakers last evening from their side asking officials of Jammu and Kashmir government to immediately stop work near the LoC.
The state government was developing a children`s park and improving facilities of a school in the area under the Border Area Development Programme (BADP).
Keran was adopted as a model village under the BADP and Rs 2.45 crore was earmarked for improving the facilities at a village which includes setting up of a community centre, creating sheds, laboratory for a school and improving road facility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen