Worried over fallout, Omar prays for Gaza peace
Srinagar: Worried over the possible fallout of the Gaza violence in Jammu and Kashmir, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday hoped a truce takes effect there at the earliest.
Reacting to reports that a ceasefire was imminent in Gaza, Abdullah posted on Twitter: "Let`s hope the ceasefire does come into effect in Gaza. Saner heads need to prevail and give peace another chance.
"I can now assume it`s no longer a question of `if` but one of `when`," he said in another comment.
Abdullah`s worry is that Israel`s offensive against the Hamas should not have an adverse fallout in Kashmir.
He fears that some forces were seeking to exploit the situation to disturb the peace in the Valley.
"Some people in Srinagar are desperate to use the Palestinian suffering to make people in the Valley suffer."
The Palestine issue has always evoked strong reactions in the Kashmir Valley.
"On an emotional level, people in Kashmir cannot be expected to remain unconcerned about developments in the Muslim countries," said a leader of Abdullah`s National Conference party.
Images of bodies of children and the elderly killed in Israeli bombing in Gaza have been uploaded by many Kashmiris on Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested