Worried over fallout, Omar prays for Gaza peace
Srinagar: Worried over the possible fallout of the Gaza violence in Jammu and Kashmir, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday hoped a truce takes effect there at the earliest.
Reacting to reports that a ceasefire was imminent in Gaza, Abdullah posted on Twitter: "Let`s hope the ceasefire does come into effect in Gaza. Saner heads need to prevail and give peace another chance.
"I can now assume it`s no longer a question of `if` but one of `when`," he said in another comment.
Abdullah`s worry is that Israel`s offensive against the Hamas should not have an adverse fallout in Kashmir.
He fears that some forces were seeking to exploit the situation to disturb the peace in the Valley.
"Some people in Srinagar are desperate to use the Palestinian suffering to make people in the Valley suffer."
The Palestine issue has always evoked strong reactions in the Kashmir Valley.
"On an emotional level, people in Kashmir cannot be expected to remain unconcerned about developments in the Muslim countries," said a leader of Abdullah`s National Conference party.
Images of bodies of children and the elderly killed in Israeli bombing in Gaza have been uploaded by many Kashmiris on Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog