Worried over fallout, Omar prays for Gaza peace
Srinagar: Worried over the possible fallout of the Gaza violence in Jammu and Kashmir, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday hoped a truce takes effect there at the earliest.
Reacting to reports that a ceasefire was imminent in Gaza, Abdullah posted on Twitter: "Let`s hope the ceasefire does come into effect in Gaza. Saner heads need to prevail and give peace another chance.
"I can now assume it`s no longer a question of `if` but one of `when`," he said in another comment.
Abdullah`s worry is that Israel`s offensive against the Hamas should not have an adverse fallout in Kashmir.
He fears that some forces were seeking to exploit the situation to disturb the peace in the Valley.
"Some people in Srinagar are desperate to use the Palestinian suffering to make people in the Valley suffer."
The Palestine issue has always evoked strong reactions in the Kashmir Valley.
"On an emotional level, people in Kashmir cannot be expected to remain unconcerned about developments in the Muslim countries," said a leader of Abdullah`s National Conference party.
Images of bodies of children and the elderly killed in Israeli bombing in Gaza have been uploaded by many Kashmiris on Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes reach French Open quarters
- Narendra Modi addresses 'Vikas Parv' rally in Karnataka, unveils cooking gas scheme for poor
- Vidya Balan would love to be directed by brother-in-law
- Monaco Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ends his wait, Sergio Perez completes podium