Worried over fallout, Omar prays for Gaza peace
Srinagar: Worried over the possible fallout of the Gaza violence in Jammu and Kashmir, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday hoped a truce takes effect there at the earliest.
Reacting to reports that a ceasefire was imminent in Gaza, Abdullah posted on Twitter: "Let`s hope the ceasefire does come into effect in Gaza. Saner heads need to prevail and give peace another chance.
"I can now assume it`s no longer a question of `if` but one of `when`," he said in another comment.
Abdullah`s worry is that Israel`s offensive against the Hamas should not have an adverse fallout in Kashmir.
He fears that some forces were seeking to exploit the situation to disturb the peace in the Valley.
"Some people in Srinagar are desperate to use the Palestinian suffering to make people in the Valley suffer."
The Palestine issue has always evoked strong reactions in the Kashmir Valley.
"On an emotional level, people in Kashmir cannot be expected to remain unconcerned about developments in the Muslim countries," said a leader of Abdullah`s National Conference party.
Images of bodies of children and the elderly killed in Israeli bombing in Gaza have been uploaded by many Kashmiris on Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM