Yasin Malik among nine detained
Srinagar: Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir
Liberation Front (JKLF) Yasin Malik and eight other members of
the separatist group were detained here on Friday after they led a
protest against the killing of a youth in Boniyar village of
Baramulla earlier this week.
Malik and eight other JKLF members, including Showkat
Ahmad Bakshi, were detained when they attempted to march
towards the city-centre Lal Chowk from Maisuma neighbourhood.
"Even though people here are now protesting peacefully,
the temperament of security forces has become such that they
are trigger-happy," he told reporters before he was detained.
Malik also condemned the "political statements" issued by
Army generals and termed its Sadbhavna operations as
"Is India a democratic country or has it become a banana
republic? Now, Army generals are issuing political statements.
The political leadership gives one statement on Kashmir and
Army Generals next day give another statement to contradict
it," Malik claimed.
A large posse of policemen prevented the group from
marching towards Lal Chowk after which Malik and others were
detained and taken to a nearby police station.
Malik was protesting against the killing of Altaf Ahmad
Sood, a student, who was killed when CISF personnel fired on
protesters in north Kashmir`s Boniyar village on Monday.
The JKLF leader said the protest is also to save the
peaceful struggle of Kashmiris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla