Yasin Malik among nine detained
Srinagar: Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir
Liberation Front (JKLF) Yasin Malik and eight other members of
the separatist group were detained here on Friday after they led a
protest against the killing of a youth in Boniyar village of
Baramulla earlier this week.
Malik and eight other JKLF members, including Showkat
Ahmad Bakshi, were detained when they attempted to march
towards the city-centre Lal Chowk from Maisuma neighbourhood.
"Even though people here are now protesting peacefully,
the temperament of security forces has become such that they
are trigger-happy," he told reporters before he was detained.
Malik also condemned the "political statements" issued by
Army generals and termed its Sadbhavna operations as
"Is India a democratic country or has it become a banana
republic? Now, Army generals are issuing political statements.
The political leadership gives one statement on Kashmir and
Army Generals next day give another statement to contradict
it," Malik claimed.
A large posse of policemen prevented the group from
marching towards Lal Chowk after which Malik and others were
detained and taken to a nearby police station.
Malik was protesting against the killing of Altaf Ahmad
Sood, a student, who was killed when CISF personnel fired on
protesters in north Kashmir`s Boniyar village on Monday.
The JKLF leader said the protest is also to save the
peaceful struggle of Kashmiris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi