Yasin Malik among nine detained
Srinagar: Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir
Liberation Front (JKLF) Yasin Malik and eight other members of
the separatist group were detained here on Friday after they led a
protest against the killing of a youth in Boniyar village of
Baramulla earlier this week.
Malik and eight other JKLF members, including Showkat
Ahmad Bakshi, were detained when they attempted to march
towards the city-centre Lal Chowk from Maisuma neighbourhood.
"Even though people here are now protesting peacefully,
the temperament of security forces has become such that they
are trigger-happy," he told reporters before he was detained.
Malik also condemned the "political statements" issued by
Army generals and termed its Sadbhavna operations as
"Is India a democratic country or has it become a banana
republic? Now, Army generals are issuing political statements.
The political leadership gives one statement on Kashmir and
Army Generals next day give another statement to contradict
it," Malik claimed.
A large posse of policemen prevented the group from
marching towards Lal Chowk after which Malik and others were
detained and taken to a nearby police station.
Malik was protesting against the killing of Altaf Ahmad
Sood, a student, who was killed when CISF personnel fired on
protesters in north Kashmir`s Boniyar village on Monday.
The JKLF leader said the protest is also to save the
peaceful struggle of Kashmiris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!