Yasin Malik and 4 JKLF leaders detained
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front
(JKLF) chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik and four other party
leaders were taken into preventive custody ahead of a public
meeting in Kupwara district of north Kashmir on Friday, officials
Malik alongwith senior party leaders Mohammad Iqbal
Gandroo, Mir Mohammad Zaman, Mohammad Yaseen Bhat and Mohammad
Amin Jan were detained at Chogal, 75 kms from here, this
afternoon, they said.
They said the JKLF leaders were on way to Handwara to
address a public meeting when they were detained by police as
a precuationary measure to maintain law and order.
Strongly condemning the detention, the party said this is
the second time the separatist leader was prevented from
visiting Handwara to meet the people during the past few
"Handwara visit was part of the `meet the people`
programme of the party. JKLF organised a number of public
meetings throughout the state but there was no law and order
problem anywhere," Secretary Information Ashraf-bin-Salam
JKLF will not be cowed down by such acts and will
continue its meet the people programme in future to garner
support for the ongoing struggle for complete freedom, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next