Yasin Malik detained; police foil JKLF bid to take out rally
Srinagar: JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik and his 17 supporters were on Friday detained when they tried to take out a protest rally demanding return of mortal remains of Afzal Guru and faction founder Maqbool Bhat from Tihar jail.
Malik and his supporters were detained at Budshah Chowk in the heart of the city as they tried to take out a rally from their headquarters towards nearby Lal Chowk shortly after Friday prayers, official sources said.
Besides Malik, prominent among those detained by police included vice chairman of JKLF Bashir Ahmad Bhat, the chairman of his faction of JKLF Javid Ahmad Mir and chairman Muslim Conference Shabir Ahmad Dar.
The call for protest was given by Majlis Mashawarat, a conglomerate of various separatist groups formed in the aftermath of the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in Tihar Jail on February 09.
Meanwhile, chairman of hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani was taken into custody after he tried to move out of his Hyderpora residence here to offer Friday prayers.
Geelani, who is under house arrest, came out and tried to proceed towards the local mosque but was stopped by police and taken into custody, the sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev