Yasin Malik, other JKLF leaders taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Yasin Malik along with a number of activists and supporters were on Friday taken into preventive custody here as the group kick-started its 10-day `jail bharo` agitation against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners by various courts.
Yasin Malik and others were taken into preventive custody after they took out a march from Maisuma to nearby Budshah Chowk, in violation of prohibitory orders and were lodged in Kothi Bagh police station, a police spokesman said.
He said they are being shifted to Srinagar`s Central Jail.
A JKLF spokesman said over 50 activists and supporters of the group led by Malik courted arrest as part of the `jail bharo` agitation to lodge protest against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners and torture in jails.
Prominent among others who were arrested are Javed Mir, Abdul Majid Mir and Parveena Ahangar (chairperson of Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons), he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary