Yasin Malik, other JKLF leaders taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Yasin Malik along with a number of activists and supporters were on Friday taken into preventive custody here as the group kick-started its 10-day `jail bharo` agitation against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners by various courts.
Yasin Malik and others were taken into preventive custody after they took out a march from Maisuma to nearby Budshah Chowk, in violation of prohibitory orders and were lodged in Kothi Bagh police station, a police spokesman said.
He said they are being shifted to Srinagar`s Central Jail.
A JKLF spokesman said over 50 activists and supporters of the group led by Malik courted arrest as part of the `jail bharo` agitation to lodge protest against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners and torture in jails.
Prominent among others who were arrested are Javed Mir, Abdul Majid Mir and Parveena Ahangar (chairperson of Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?