Yasin Malik, other JKLF leaders taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Yasin Malik along with a number of activists and supporters were on Friday taken into preventive custody here as the group kick-started its 10-day `jail bharo` agitation against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners by various courts.
Yasin Malik and others were taken into preventive custody after they took out a march from Maisuma to nearby Budshah Chowk, in violation of prohibitory orders and were lodged in Kothi Bagh police station, a police spokesman said.
He said they are being shifted to Srinagar`s Central Jail.
A JKLF spokesman said over 50 activists and supporters of the group led by Malik courted arrest as part of the `jail bharo` agitation to lodge protest against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners and torture in jails.
Prominent among others who were arrested are Javed Mir, Abdul Majid Mir and Parveena Ahangar (chairperson of Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him