Yasin Malik, other JKLF leaders taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Yasin Malik along with a number of activists and supporters were on Friday taken into preventive custody here as the group kick-started its 10-day `jail bharo` agitation against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners by various courts.
Yasin Malik and others were taken into preventive custody after they took out a march from Maisuma to nearby Budshah Chowk, in violation of prohibitory orders and were lodged in Kothi Bagh police station, a police spokesman said.
He said they are being shifted to Srinagar`s Central Jail.
A JKLF spokesman said over 50 activists and supporters of the group led by Malik courted arrest as part of the `jail bharo` agitation to lodge protest against awarding of death sentences and lifers to Kashmiri prisoners and torture in jails.
Prominent among others who were arrested are Javed Mir, Abdul Majid Mir and Parveena Ahangar (chairperson of Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video