Yasin Malik taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: Over a dozen separatists,
including JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik were today taken
into preventive custody by police here to scuttle a token
hunger strike and protest rallies planned by them to mark the
World Human Rights day.
Several other separatist leaders, including chairmen of
both factions of Hurriyat Conference, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and
Syed Ali Shah Geelai, and Democratic Freedom Party (DFP)
President Shabir Ahmad Shah were placed under house arrest as
a precautionary measure to maintain law and order, official
Malik, who had planned to lead a "torch rally" from
Khankah in downtown Srinagar, was detained by police from his
Maisuma residence in the heart of Srinagar this morning, the
Hundreds of Police and paramilitary personnel were also
deployed in and around Khankah to maintain law and order,
However, JKLF activists led by vice chairman Bashir Ahmad
Bhat made an attempt to take out the torch rally from Maisuma
headquarters but their attempt was foiled by police.
Bhat alongwith several other party leaders were detained
and rest were chased away by police who burst a teargas shell
and used batons after a group of youth pelted stones on them,
the sources said, adding, reinforcements have been rushed to
the area to restore order.
Condemning the police action, a JKLF spokesman said,
"The rally was planned to highlight the unabated human rights
violations and bring the attention of the world community
towards the long standing Kashmir issue for its resolution."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Harmanpreet Kaur Bhullar becomes first India Women's cricketer to be signed by overseas T20 team
- Indian politicians funded Hillary Clinton for Indo-US civil nuclear deal: Donald Trump
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today
- 'Mirzya': Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra thanks Salman Khan, sends best wishes for 'Sultan'