Yasin Malik, two others detained
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik and two other leaders of the separatist outfit were detained on Friday as they
tried to take out a protest rally from Maisuma locality here triggering brief clashes with police.
Malik, Noor Mohammad Kalwal and Mohammad Ahraf were detained by police as they were leading a group of JKLF activists in protest march towards local office of UN Military Observers Group at Sonawar here, a senior police official
He said police action was necessitated as Section 144 CrPC was in force in the city and the organisers of the rally had not sought permission for it from the concerned
JKLF had organised a protest rally on the eve of 28th death anniversary of Mohammad Maqbool Bhat, a founding member of the party, to demand return of his mortal remains for burial here.
Bhat was hanged on February 11, 1984 after he was sentenced to death in a murder case and was buried in the premises of Tihar Jail in Delhi.
Police used batons to disperse the other protestors, which led to clashes between the two sides.
The clashes led to stone-pelting by a group of youth from the interiors of Maisuma, prompting the police to fire tear smoke shells, the official said.
He said one policeman was injured in the clashes, which led to shutdown of the market in Maisuma and adjoining areas.
JKLF has called for a general strike tomorrow which has been supported by both factions of Hurriyat Conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested