Yousuf death: NC welcomes report, PDP alleges cover-up
Srinagar: The ruling National Conference in Jammu & Kashmir on today said its stand has been vindicated by the magisterial inquiry report into the death of Syed Mohammad Yousuf while the opposition PDP dismissed the findings as a "cover-up" exercise.
"Our party`s stand is vindicated. There was nothing as such (as was being alleged) and the inquiry has proved it," National Conference spokesman Tanvir Sadiq said.
He said since Bedi commission is carrying out a separate inquiry "there is not much to say yet".
"(But) we have complete faith in the justice and complete faith in the commission," the NC spokesman said.
In a statement, a PDP spokesman said that the projection of this report by the government as a "clean chit to the high and mighty is like adding insult to injury.”
"It is a shameless attempt to cover up something that increasingly looks fishy and suspicious...," he said.
The spokesman said this was in sharp contrast to the punishment meted out to the doctors, advocates and others who had handled the Shopian double murder in which two adult women were shown as having been washed away in ankle deep water.
He said unless there is a full fledged criminal investigation the truth would never be known.
"Till date no FIR has been registered nor has any person named by eye witnesses been interrogated," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’