Youth dies in police custody; 2 cops suspended
Jammu: A youth allegedly died in police custody in Gajansoo area in the border belt of the district after which two constables were suspended and 15 others shunted out to Police Lines.
In protest against the incident, which took place
yesterday, local people staged protests accusing the police of
torturing the 20-year-old man leading to his death in custody.
Officials said the youth - Vijay Kumar - was picked up in
connection with a theft case from Gajansoo here yesterday.
They said Kumar had escaped from the police custody and
his body was later found in a field in Galbadechak area.
A magisterial probe was ordered by the District Magistrate
after locals alleged foul play in the youth`s death.
"Besides ordering a magisterial inquiry, we have suspended
two constables including police post in charge Omar Prakash and
sent 15 others to the District Police Lines," Senior SP Jammu,
Anand Jain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to hit double century in away Test
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking