Youth dies in police custody; 2 cops suspended
Jammu: A youth allegedly died in police custody in Gajansoo area in the border belt of the district after which two constables were suspended and 15 others shunted out to Police Lines.
In protest against the incident, which took place
yesterday, local people staged protests accusing the police of
torturing the 20-year-old man leading to his death in custody.
Officials said the youth - Vijay Kumar - was picked up in
connection with a theft case from Gajansoo here yesterday.
They said Kumar had escaped from the police custody and
his body was later found in a field in Galbadechak area.
A magisterial probe was ordered by the District Magistrate
after locals alleged foul play in the youth`s death.
"Besides ordering a magisterial inquiry, we have suspended
two constables including police post in charge Omar Prakash and
sent 15 others to the District Police Lines," Senior SP Jammu,
Anand Jain said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!
- Unbelievable offer! Samsung selling smartphones for Rs 1