Youth dies in police custody; 2 cops suspended
Jammu: A youth allegedly died in police custody in Gajansoo area in the border belt of the district after which two constables were suspended and 15 others shunted out to Police Lines.
In protest against the incident, which took place
yesterday, local people staged protests accusing the police of
torturing the 20-year-old man leading to his death in custody.
Officials said the youth - Vijay Kumar - was picked up in
connection with a theft case from Gajansoo here yesterday.
They said Kumar had escaped from the police custody and
his body was later found in a field in Galbadechak area.
A magisterial probe was ordered by the District Magistrate
after locals alleged foul play in the youth`s death.
"Besides ordering a magisterial inquiry, we have suspended
two constables including police post in charge Omar Prakash and
sent 15 others to the District Police Lines," Senior SP Jammu,
Anand Jain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened