Youth gets life term for raping mentally challenged minor
Jammu: A fast-track court in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday sentenced a youth to life imprisonment for kidnapping and raping a mentally challenged minor girl in 2008.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjeev Gupta also imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on convict Nikhil Sharma for the crime against the 12-year-old girl.
"In view of the discussion made above and on the facts and circumstances of the case, after taking into consideration aggravating and mitigating circumstances available on the record, convict is sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for life and fine of Rs 50,000 under Section 376 RPC (rape)," Gupta stated in his order.
In default, the convict shall undergo simple imprisonment for six months, rigorous imprisonment for seven years and a fine of Rs 5,000 under 363 RPC (kidnapping), the judge said.
Nikhil abducted the girl on May 25, 2008 and committed rape on her in Palwan belt of Akhnoor teshil in Jammu district.
A case was registered against him on the complaint of the girl`s father. Nikhil was subsequently arrested, but he later got bail.
"The prosecutrix was about 10 years of age at the time of occurrence. She was a semi-mentally retarded girl who was dealt with animal passion by the accused, thereby shattering her dignity and purity of physical frame," the judge said, adding that rape cases and cases relating to crime against women, particularly young female children, had alarmingly increased in the recent time.
The accused is on bail, but his bail bond and personal bond stand cancelled and he be taken into custody and sent to the district jail in Jammu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day