Youth killed in firing in Srinagar
Srinagar: A 22-year-old youth was killed on Wednesday when CRPF personnel allegedly opened fire after coming under attack by a group of stone pelters here.
The vehicle of CRPF personnel was on its way to SKIMS hospital, where the victims of this morning`s Bemina terror attack are admitted, when it came under attack in Zoonimar area, sources said.
Altaf Hussain Wani was hit by a bullet in the chest when CRPF personnel allegedly opened fire to clear a road of stone pelters in interior city en route to SKIMS hospital, they said.
Wani was rushed to SKIMS hospital in a critical condition and succumbed soon after.
"Wani succumbed to injuries," Medical Superintendent of SKIMS hospital Dr Aijaz Ahmad told PTI.
The sources said the CRPF personnel were heading for SKIMS hospital to donate blood for their colleagues injured in the terror attack.
Two militants and five CRPF jawans were killed and 11 others ? seven CRPF personnel and four civilians were injured in the suicide attack on their camp at around 10.45 AM.
The CRPF vehicle came under attack by a group of stone-pelting youth during separatist sponsored general strike in support of their demand for the return of mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru and JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.
While Guru was hanged on February 9, Bhat was sent to gallows on February 11, 1984.
According to the sources the situation in the interior city was tense as more protesters poured on the roads after hearing about the death of Wani.
Reinforcements have been rushed to the sensitive localities to maintain law and order, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says