Youth`s killing in Baramulla: Omar breaks down in Assembly
Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday broke down in the assembly over the killing of a youth allegedly by security forces during protests in Baramulla town in north Kashmir, saying the action on the mob was unjustified.
An emotional Omar told the assembly that a probe would be held into the killing and strict punishment given to those found guilty.
A 25-year-old man was killed and four were injured in firing allegedly by security forces during protests in Baramulla town today.
Hundreds of residents of Baramulla town took to streets to protest what they alleged ransacking of their houses by the army in the area.
The protesters pelted stones at the army personnel who allegedly opened fire to disperse them, they said.
Five persons were injured in the incident. One of them later succumbed to injuries. He was identified as 25-year-old Tahir Latief Sofi.
Omar said he will seek answers for the killing.
"Today I want answers for those questions which were raised here (by PDP over the killing and silence of New Delhi). I do not have answers immediately but I will seek answers," Omar said while winding up discussion on the joint address of the Governor to the state Legislature.
Omar turned silent for a short while during the course of his address. "I will seek the answers and whosoever`s door I have to knock, I will knock. But I will have answers".
The action on the protesters was unjustified, he said.
The Chief Minister said he wants to assure the youths` family that a thorough probe will be conducted. "Whatever action is needed from our side, I will take that to ensure justice," he said.
"If there was misuse of force---I assure you (members of the House) that I will definitely give them justice-- otherwise there is no fun of this chair".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal