Zubin Mehta`s concert: Geelani calls for general strike
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Monday called for a general strike on September 07 to protest against internationally renowned orchestra conductor Zubin Mehta`s concert here.
"I appeal to the people of Kashmir Valley and Chenab, Poonch and Rajouri belts in Jammu region to observe a complete shutdown on Saturday, September 7," Geelani said here.
Geelani asked college and university students in the Valley to stage peaceful protests after Friday prayers to oppose the concert. He also called upon Imams (priests) to make the people aware about the "implications of such a show".
The German embassy is holding a cultural programme in the famous Shalimar Gardens on September 7 which will also feature performance by Mehta.
Geelani alleged that the concert is aimed at "turning the focus away" from Kashmir issue.
"The sole aim behind this music programme is to take away the focus from Kashmir issue," he said.
"What sense does this music show make? Does it mean that everything is normal here? People are being killed and by the way of this concert, you (organisers) want us to forget our sufferings, forget those killings and bloodshed," he said.
He said the concert is of "no significance" to Kashmiris and that he "strongly opposes it".
The separatist leader appealed to the people to observe "civil curfew" on September 07 and asked traders and transporters to observe complete shutdown.
"I appeal to the private car owners as well to observe the shutdown to register their protest," he said.
Geelani, in reply to a question on a parallel show organised by civil society members on the same day, said, "I do not want to comment on that. People are best judges."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant