Zubin Mehta`s concert has assumed political overtones: Mirwaiz
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Saturday said there was no opposition to the Germany-sponsored concert itself but objected to it assuming "political overtones".
"We have nothing against Zubin Mehta or any visiting dignitary...No one is against the event itself but it has assumed political overtures as an attempt is being made that everything is normal and peaceful in Kashmir which is not the case," he told reporters here.
Mirwaiz, who visited the venue of the parallel concert organised by civil society at Municipal Park here, said the Hurriyat sees a "definite design" behind the concert.
"It (the concert) should have been an open event and not an elitist programme," he said.
"We are proud of our cultural heritage and we are going to strive peacefully and politically for our rights," he said.
The Hurriyat chairman said if Germany wanted to contribute to Kashmir, they could have helped in education and health rather than holding the concert.
The hardline Hurriyat faction led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani has called for a strike in the Valley against the concert on the banks of Dal Lake here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan