Zubin Mehta`s concert has assumed political overtones: Mirwaiz
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Saturday said there was no opposition to the Germany-sponsored concert itself but objected to it assuming "political overtones".
"We have nothing against Zubin Mehta or any visiting dignitary...No one is against the event itself but it has assumed political overtures as an attempt is being made that everything is normal and peaceful in Kashmir which is not the case," he told reporters here.
Mirwaiz, who visited the venue of the parallel concert organised by civil society at Municipal Park here, said the Hurriyat sees a "definite design" behind the concert.
"It (the concert) should have been an open event and not an elitist programme," he said.
"We are proud of our cultural heritage and we are going to strive peacefully and politically for our rights," he said.
The Hurriyat chairman said if Germany wanted to contribute to Kashmir, they could have helped in education and health rather than holding the concert.
The hardline Hurriyat faction led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani has called for a strike in the Valley against the concert on the banks of Dal Lake here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!