Zubin Mehta`s concert has assumed political overtones: Mirwaiz
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Saturday said there was no opposition to the Germany-sponsored concert itself but objected to it assuming "political overtones".
"We have nothing against Zubin Mehta or any visiting dignitary...No one is against the event itself but it has assumed political overtures as an attempt is being made that everything is normal and peaceful in Kashmir which is not the case," he told reporters here.
Mirwaiz, who visited the venue of the parallel concert organised by civil society at Municipal Park here, said the Hurriyat sees a "definite design" behind the concert.
"It (the concert) should have been an open event and not an elitist programme," he said.
"We are proud of our cultural heritage and we are going to strive peacefully and politically for our rights," he said.
The Hurriyat chairman said if Germany wanted to contribute to Kashmir, they could have helped in education and health rather than holding the concert.
The hardline Hurriyat faction led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani has called for a strike in the Valley against the concert on the banks of Dal Lake here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation