14 killed in Jharkhand road accidents
Hazaribagh/Gumla (Jharkhand): 14 persons were killed and 50 others injured in two separate road accidents in Hazaribagh and Gumla districts of Jharkhand on Thursday.
While eight people were killed and 20 injured when a mini-truck carrying labourers hit a tree in Hazaribagh, six of a marriage party died and over 36 wounded when the lorry in which they were travelling overturned in Gumla.
The Hazaribagh accident occurred when the driver lost control over the vehicle while negotiating a bend and it hit a tree after falling in a ditch near Fataf forest under Pelawal police station, SDO (Hazaribagh Sadar) Rajiv Ranjan said.
Six persons, including a woman, died on the spot while two others succumbed to their injuries in a hospital.
Of the 20 injured, the condition of 16 was stated to be serious and they were taken to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi, he said adding the driver managed to flee.
The victims were on their way from Barkagaon to Hazaribagh to join a road construction work.
In Gumla district, a lorry carrying a marriage party overturned near Adarghati under Ghagra police station killing four persons on the spot, SDO Girija Shankar Prasad said.
Two others died later, he said adding the seriously injured 13 persons were referred to RIMS.
The SDO said the lorry was on its way to Bishanpur from Chundri village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?