14 killed in Jharkhand road accidents
Hazaribagh/Gumla (Jharkhand): 14 persons were killed and 50 others injured in two separate road accidents in Hazaribagh and Gumla districts of Jharkhand on Thursday.
While eight people were killed and 20 injured when a mini-truck carrying labourers hit a tree in Hazaribagh, six of a marriage party died and over 36 wounded when the lorry in which they were travelling overturned in Gumla.
The Hazaribagh accident occurred when the driver lost control over the vehicle while negotiating a bend and it hit a tree after falling in a ditch near Fataf forest under Pelawal police station, SDO (Hazaribagh Sadar) Rajiv Ranjan said.
Six persons, including a woman, died on the spot while two others succumbed to their injuries in a hospital.
Of the 20 injured, the condition of 16 was stated to be serious and they were taken to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi, he said adding the driver managed to flee.
The victims were on their way from Barkagaon to Hazaribagh to join a road construction work.
In Gumla district, a lorry carrying a marriage party overturned near Adarghati under Ghagra police station killing four persons on the spot, SDO Girija Shankar Prasad said.
Two others died later, he said adding the seriously injured 13 persons were referred to RIMS.
The SDO said the lorry was on its way to Bishanpur from Chundri village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report