7 govt in 9 years: Stability remains elusive in J`khand
Ranchi: Moves and counter moves on the
political chessboard in Jharkhand has led seven governments
to come and go in a span of nine years since its creation.
Almost all major political parties in the state have been
in a ruling alliance at one point or the other with JMM chief
Shibu Soren heading two different coalitions -- one at the
head of the UPA and another at the head of NDA.
Former BJP president Rajnath Singh had been instrumental
in preventing Soren from becoming the first chief minister
soon after the state`s creation on November 15, 2000, by
cobbling up a loose NDA alliance headed by Babulal Marandi,
the present Jharkhand Vikar Morcha (P) chief.
The Marandi government fell on the floor of the House in
March 2003, but Rajnath, then the BJP`s in-charge of Jharkhand
Affairs, replaced Marandi with Arjun Munda.
The first assembly elections in 2005 threw a fractured
mandate and saw Soren taking over the mantle of the state.
However, he could remain in the saddle for just nine days.
Soren failed to muster support on the floor of the House
and bowed out of the office following which the BJP once again
came to power with Arjun Munda this time again heading the
government which lasted for barely one and half years.
However, rebellion began to surface in the government and
Munda was dethroned by independent MLA Madhu Koda in
With the support of Congress, JMM and RJD, Koda managed
to run the state for 23 months.
Koda and three of his former cabinet colleagues are now
in jail on corruption charges.
Soren regained the mantle in August 2008, only to step
down in January 2009 after his lost an Assembly bypoll,
bringing in year-long-President`s rule in the state.
When the Assembly results on December 23 last year threw
up a fractured mandate giving JMM and BJP 18 seats each,
Rajnath and BJP leader Ananth Kumar flew down to Ranchi and
successfully checkmated Congress and ally JVM-P`s political
manoeuvring and installed Soren as Chief Minister.
However, Soren again lost the post with alliance partner
BJP today withdrawing support from the JMM-led government in
retaliation to his voting for the UPA against in Lok Sabha.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!