ABVP demands increase in ST student scholarships
Jamshedpur: The Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP) on Wednesday demanded that scholarships of Schedule Tribe students should be hiked based on the prevailing inflation of the country.
There was hardly five per cent increase in the scholarship amount compared to the increasing inflation, said Praful Akant, in-charge of All India Tribal Students of ABVP, who was in the steel city in connection with the national conference of the two-day Schedule Tribal Professional students to be held here from February 23.
He said the government had enhanced the scholarship amount from Rs 350 to Rs 550 per month last year but it was insufficient for a student to manage compared to the increasing inflation and price rise of essential commodities.
Akant strongly advocated that the hike in the scholarship amount should be proportionate to prevailing inflation.
Referring the "pathetic" conditions of ST/SC students hostel across the country, Ankat said a urgent step needed to be taken to improve it.
Currently, we have over 4500 ST/SC students hostel in the country but unfortunately majority of them were in very bad shape with inadequate toilets and bathrooms, Ankat, who filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in Supreme Court last year following a survey conducted in this regard in 2008, said.
He said the apex court has taken congnisance of the PIL and hearing was likely to begin from next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi