ABVP demands increase in ST student scholarships
Jamshedpur: The Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP) on Wednesday demanded that scholarships of Schedule Tribe students should be hiked based on the prevailing inflation of the country.
There was hardly five per cent increase in the scholarship amount compared to the increasing inflation, said Praful Akant, in-charge of All India Tribal Students of ABVP, who was in the steel city in connection with the national conference of the two-day Schedule Tribal Professional students to be held here from February 23.
He said the government had enhanced the scholarship amount from Rs 350 to Rs 550 per month last year but it was insufficient for a student to manage compared to the increasing inflation and price rise of essential commodities.
Akant strongly advocated that the hike in the scholarship amount should be proportionate to prevailing inflation.
Referring the "pathetic" conditions of ST/SC students hostel across the country, Ankat said a urgent step needed to be taken to improve it.
Currently, we have over 4500 ST/SC students hostel in the country but unfortunately majority of them were in very bad shape with inadequate toilets and bathrooms, Ankat, who filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in Supreme Court last year following a survey conducted in this regard in 2008, said.
He said the apex court has taken congnisance of the PIL and hearing was likely to begin from next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video