AJSU leader Tileshwar Sahu shot dead in Jharkhand
Hazaribagh: Tileshwar Sahu, who had recently joined All Jharkhand Students` Union, was on Saturday shot dead at Barhi in the district, police said.
One of the alleged killers was arrested after the incident, Sub Divisional Police Officer Avinash Kumar told reporters here.
"Three bullets were fired on his chest from close range and he was declared dead at the Sadar Hospital," Kumar said.
Sahu was coming out of a party venue after addressing the women`s convention when he was confronted by some people before being shot dead, he added.
His supporters overpowered one of them, identified as Suraj Kumar, and handed him over to the police, the SDPO said.
A former chairman of the Jharkhand Pollution Control Board, Sahu had joined the Sudesh Mahto-led AJSU party recently.
Sahu was the party`s general secretary and was an aspirant for Barhi assembly seat from the party for the next assembly elections, AJSU`s vice president Praveen Prabhakar said.
AJSU`s spokesman, Dev Sharan Bhagat said the party would enforce Jharkhand bandh tomorrow in protest against the killing of Sahu. However, essential services like medical services and examinations will be exempted, Bhagat told reporters in Ranchi.
"Sahu was an enterprising and pro-people leader. He had survived two bids on his life recently, yet the police failed to protect him," Bhagat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air