AJSU seeks Prez intervention to accord special status to Jharkhand
Ranchi: The AJSU party, which has been staging demonstration in support of a special economic package for Jharkhand on Saturday met President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi and sought his intervention in addressing the "concerns" of the state, a statement issued here said.
Heading a delegation, party president and former deputy chief minister Sudesh Mahto apprised the President of how Jharkhand lagged behind in development and deserved special package.
Mahto submitted a memorandum to the President at the Rastrapati Bhavan, a day after he held a demonstration at Jantar Mantar in the national capital as part of the party`s sixth phase agitation.
A copy of the memorandum released to the press said, according a special status to Jharkhand "would go a long way in addressing the development concerns not only of Jharkhand, but also of the nation as a whole."
The memorandum cited lack of infrastructure, 29 per cent of forest coverage leaving `negligible portion` of cultivated land and several other factors to back its demand for special package.
Besides Mahto, the delegation comprised party MLAs Chandraprakash Choudhary, Kamal Kishore Bhagat, Uma Kant Rajak, Ramchandra Shahish and Navin Jaiswal, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla